Johnny McFadden co-founded Mountaineer Integrated Care (MIC) which won permits to grow, process and dispense medical cannabis in West Virginia. He serves as their community outreach coordinator as the company prepares to open its grow/processor facility in Fort Ashby, WV, and its dispensary in Ravenswood, WV.
Johnny’s goal is to educate the public about the cannabis industry. To that end, he’s spoken to local government leaders, local news and hundreds of average West Virginians. Before winning permits in WV, Johnny was the director of marketing for the Medical Cannabis Society, which advocates for medical cannabis patients. In addition, he helped run educational events throughout the east coast. He also served as the technical director of Optimal Reach Media, a Pittsburgh-based marketing firm, where he specialized in SEO and all things digital.
Johnny also works with cannabis startups in emerging, east coast industries. And he’s also an advocate for drug policy, criminal justice reform and all things West Virginia.
- 4:27 Johnny, take a minute, fill in some gaps from that brief intro and give us a little behind the curtain look into your business.
- 6:11 How did you get started in this business?
- 9:46 What is your grow and processing facility going to look like?
- 11:25 How does the growing process work?
- 14:32 Can you tell us more about the leadership team you’ve assembled?
- 16:17 Was there a large out of state force trying to get these permits in order to grow and process?
- 17:42 Why is it so important to you for MIC to have a positive impact on the community?
- 21:42 What is your 30 sec. pitch for your business?
- 22:31 What are you most excited about for your company right now?
- 24:16 Are you talking about legal for recreational use as opposed to medicinal?
- 25:35 What geographic market is your company going to serve?
- 26:24 You’re going to need a prescription for this, right?
- 27:08 How many employees do you have right now? How many employees do you envision in the future?
- 28:46 When do you think MIC will be open for business? Does everyone with a permit get to open at the same time?
- 29:40 Is there a specific date where everyone with a permit is allowed to open?
- 31:13 PWV Commercial Break
- 31:42 What is the long term vision you have for your business?
- 33:42 How will you attract new customers and get the word out there about your business?
- 35:02 What is one of the biggest challenges you face right now?
- 37:24 How does a company like MIC get funding and startup capital?
- 40:03 What is one piece of advice that you’d give to young people who are thinking about starting their own business?
- 42:33 What is one thing that you do every day that you think contributes to your success?
- 43:45 What is one book or podcast that you’d recommend for aspiring entrepreneurs?
- 46:02 Is there anything else you’d like our listeners to know about you or your story?
- 48:18 How can our listeners learn more about your company and perhaps even get in contact with you?
- 50:00 Outro
How to Win Friends and Influence People by Dale Carnegie
Think and Grow Rich by Napoleon Hill
Podcast Recommendation: Freakonomics