Dean Six graduated from WVU several times and has written numerous books, articles and scholarly monographs. Published materials and recognized work include WVU Published Guide to Art and completed architecture on WVU Campuses. In addition, Dean is an avid long-time glass collector, lecturer and consultant.
Dean owns and manages America’s Oldest Five and Dime store, as well as being Vice President at Blenko Glass Company. In addition, he co-founded the Museum of American Glass in Weston, West Virginia.
Dean has been the Vice President and General Manager of Blenko Glass in Milton, WV, for the last seven years.
- 3:17 Dean, take a minute, fill in some gaps from that brief intro and give us a little behind the curtain look into your business.
- 4:49 Why natural gas instead of coal? Is it a temperature thing?
- 5:19 How did you get started in the glass business?
- 8:28 How many glass companies have there been in West Virginia?
- 8:33 How many glass companies in the Morgantown area?
- 9:04 Why is WV so well known for glass?
- 12:19 What is your 30 sec. pitch for your business?
- 13:06 What are you most excited about for your company right now?
- 16:09 Is there still a demand for recycled glass?
- 17:20 How do you create the unique colors for your glass?
- 19:31 So it’s not just called cobalt blue? There’s actually cobalt in it?
- 20:03 What is the geographic market that you serve?
- 21:43 How many employees do you have right now?
- 22:20 What has been your best business moment so far?
- 18:00 What has been your worst business moment so far?
- 26:03 PWV Commercial Break
- 26:33 What is the long term vision you have for Blenko Glass?
- 29:10 How do you find these workers?
- 33:43 Can you tell us more about the oldest 5 and Dime Store?
- 36:39 What is the name of your 5 and Dime Store?
- 37:29 What is one piece of advice that you’d give to young people who are thinking about starting their own business?
- 39:36 What is one thing that you do every day that you think contributes to your success?
- 40:53 What is one book or podcast that you’d recommend for aspiring entrepreneurs?
- 41:59 Is there anything else you’d like our listeners to know about The Blenko story or about your personal story?
- 43:37 How can our listeners learn more about Blenko and perhaps even get in contact with you?
- 45:08 Outro
Also mentioned … Berdine’s 5 & Dime Store