Max Hammer has been on a bike since he was a toddler. He came of age on the trails surrounding Phoenix, Arizona, in the 1980s just as mountain biking was sweeping the western United States. Max raced several disciplines through the late 80s and early 90s, including dual slalom, which took him to the 1990 World Championship. He has raced alongside some of the nation’s preeminent riders on the most challenging terrain.
These days, Max is proud to call the Greenbrier Valley home where he owns Hammer Cycles, a full-service bicycle shop in downtown White Sulphur Springs, West Virginia. He offers a lifetime of expertise honed on backcountry trails and racecourses to the community he loves. In his downtime, he serves as head coach of the Greenbrier Valley Hellbenders Youth Mountain Bike Team.
- 3:54 Max, take a minute, fill in some gaps from that brief intro and give us a little behind the curtain look into your business.
- 5:46 What is your 30 sec. pitch for your business?
- 6:20 Can you tell us more about the brands that you carry?
- 7:48 Can you tell us more about e-bikes?
- 10:04 What is the range on an e-bike?
- 10:54 Can you tell us more about the gravel bike?
- 13:39 Can you talk little bit about what it was like to start a business at the beginning of a pandemic?
- 15:27 What are you most excited about for your company right now?
- 17:56 What do you attribute the revitalization of White Sulphur Springs to?
- 18:40 What is the geographic market that you serve?
- 20:18 What are your thoughts on the Ascend WV Program?
- 21:12 Can you tell us more about what brought you to WV?
- 23:07 What has been your best business moment so far?
- 23:37 What has been your worst business moment so far?
- 24:48 PWV Commercial Break
- 21:09 What is the long term vision you have for your company?
- 26:03 Why do you love riding bikes so much?
- 27:11 What is your favorite trail to ride?
- 31:24 How do you attract new customers?
- 32:00 What is one of the biggest challenges you’re facing right now?
- 33:24 What is one piece of advice that you’d give to young people who are thinking about starting their own business?
- 34:48 What is one thing that you do every day that you think contributes to your success?
- 35:15 What is one book or podcast that you’d recommend for aspiring entrepreneurs?
- 35:54 Is there anything else you’d like our listeners to know about your company or your story?
- 38:02 How can our listeners learn more about your company and perhaps even get in contact with you?
- 39:09 Outro