Amanda McDaniel is a stay-at-home mom turned Lumber Lady! She and her father have built their business together as a combined retirement project and entrepreneurial dream. Shenandoah Planing Mill is a full-service lumber mill offering dimensional hardwoods, flooring, trims, moulding, and interior finishes.They act as a hub for woodworkers and consumers to network, get supplies, and provide services surrounding the wood industry. Amanda’s passion for small business spills over into her extracurriculars; she volunteers as a board member on the Jefferson County Development Authority and as a Town Council member in her home town of Bolivar. No matter how much fun she has at work, her first love remains her two wonderful children and her partner in all things, Justin.
- 3:33 Amanda, take a minute, fill in some gaps from that brief intro and give us a little behind the curtain look into your business.
- 5:08 What has your experience been like going into business with your father?
- 6:07 Can you give us an overview of the products and services you provide at your business?
- 7:14 Can you tell us more about the type of wood you focus on?
- 8:18 Can you tell us more about the equipment you have at your planing mill?
- 9:30 How has your business been affected by the lumber shortage during the pandemic?
- 10:17 What is your 30 sec. pitch for your business?
- 10:54 So, your business is also a place for those who are interested in hardwood to gather and share their knowledge?
- 11:24 If someone were to come into your business with a piece of crown molding from a historic home and, would you be able to match it?
- 12:58 Do you offer live edge lumber products?
- 13:14 What are you most excited about for your company right now?
- 14:08 How many employees do you have?
- 14:24 What is the geographic region that you serve?
- 14:55 What has been your best business moment so far?
- 16:55 What has been your worst business moment so far?
- 18:36 PWV Commercial Break
- 19:07 What is the long term vision you have for your company?
- 20:25 Do you happen to know Gat Caperton?
- 21:00 How do you attract new customers?
- 22:02 What is one of the biggest challenges you’re facing right now?
- 23:47 What is one piece of advice that you’d give to young people who are thinking about starting their own business?
- 25:28 What is one leadership lesson that you’ve learned over the past year?
- 26:37 What is one thing that you do every day that you think contributes to your success?
- 27:41 What is one book or podcast that you’d recommend for aspiring entrepreneurs?
- 28:30 Is there anything else you’d like our listeners to know about your company or your story?
- 29:40 How can our listeners learn more about your company and perhaps even get in contact with you?
- 30:07 Do you offer classes on a regular basis?
Dare to Lead by Brené Brown
Dare to Lead by Brené Brown