Evans Knob Farm is owned by Kathy and Reid Evans. Fourth generation operators of Reid’s family farm, they took over stewardship of the farm in 1994. In 2002, Reid lost his job with IBM, and Kathy knew it was time to get down to business and take the farm from personal sustenance to an actual income.
Kathy was one of the founding farmers of the Morgantown Farmers market, serving as president of the association for over 8 years. Evans Knob Farm is still active at the market as well as serving several families in Preston and Monongalia counties in WV and also Garrett county MD through a CSA.
- 3:46 Kathy, take a minute, fill in some gaps from that brief intro and give us a little behind the curtain look into your business.
- 5:49 Can you tell us more about Evans Knob Farm? How many acres is your farm?
- 6:47 What is your 30 sec. pitch for your business?
- 7:30 So folks can come out to Bruceton Mills and check out your farm?
- 8:42 Can you tell us more about sustainable and responsible farming?
- 11:19 Can you tell us more about your CSA Program? How can people those that are interested get involved?
- 13:41 Has your CSA program been successful? Is it a sustainable revenue model?
- 14:48 What are you most excited about for your business right now?
- 16:27 How does selling your products at the farmers market benefit your business?
- 17:51 Can you talk a little bit about the where your customers are from?
- 18:59 How many employees do you have?
- 20:15 What is a WWOOFER?
- 21:44 What are you responsible for as a WWOOFER Host?
- 24:00 What has been your best business moment?
- 25:34 What has been your worst business moment?
- 26:40 PWV Commercial Break
- 27:16 What is the long term vision you have for both of your businesses?
- 27:48 How do you attract new customers?
- 28:39 What is one of the biggest challenges you’re facing right now?
- 29:55 What is one piece of advice that you’d give to young people who are thinking about starting their own business?
- 31:14 What is one thing that you do every day that you think contributes to your success?
- 31:49 What is one book or podcast that you’d recommend for aspiring entrepreneurs?
- 34:04 What have you learned from listening to The Thriving Farmer Podcast?
- 36:34 Is there anything else you’d like our listeners to know about your companies or your story?
- 37:06 How can our listeners learn more about your business and perhaps even get in contact with you?
- 38:47 Outro
The Lean Farm by Ben Hartman