Clay Elkins is a quintessential food and wine guy who strives to deliver world-class dining and entertainment experiences. He earned a BS in Computer Information Systems from Appalachian State University but quickly learned that the cubicle life was not for him; deciding, instead, to pursue his long-time passion for food and beverage.
Clay went on to earn a degree in Culinary Arts from Johnson and Wales University. Originally from Charlotte, NC, Clay has called Greenbrier County, WV home for 15 years. In 2018, after serving for 13 years as Director of Food and Beverage at the Greenbrier Sporting Club, Clay opened The Local Café in Lewisburg. Soon thereafter, Clay partnered with David Bostic and J.W. Groseclose to form Cross Creek Hospitality. Today, Cross Creek Hospitality, located in White Sulphur Springs, WV, encompasses Cross Creek Cafe (formerly The Local Cafe), Road Hog’s BBQ, Big Draft Brewing, and Cross Creek on Main (live music and events center).
In November, Cross Creek Hospitality was awarded the WV Hospitality and Tourism Association’s 2021 Excellence in Tourism Development Award for its role in the revitalization of White Sulphur Springs. In his spare time, Clay volunteers as a coach with the Greenbrier Valley Hellbenders Youth Mountain Bike Team.
- 3:45 Tell us about Big Draft Brewing.
- 4:45 How did you get started?
- 6:10 What brought you to West Virginia?
- 7:00 Why did you want to start Big Draft Brewing?
- 8:15 What are you known for?
- 13:20 What are you most excited about?
- 16:45 Where are you customers coming from?
- 19:50 Best business moment?
- 21:10 Worst business moment?
- 22:10 PWV Commercial Break
- 22:40 What’s your longterm vision?
- 24:55 How do you attract new customers?
- 26:06 What challenges are you facing?
- 27:10 What’s a guiding principle that you follow in leadership?
- 28:45 Piece of advice for a young person?
- 30:45 Why do you like doing business in West Virginia?
- 32:40 What’s one thing you do everyday that contributes to your success?
- 35:45 Anything else?
- 39:30 Outro
Email – None
The New Gold Standard, Joseph A. Michelli