George Patterson is the owner and founder of Hernshaw Farms, a mushroom farm located on a reclaimed mine strip in Hernshaw, West Virginia. George is from Charleston, WV, and loves mushroom risotto. Simply put, George is a mushroom farmer with a purpose!
George recently graduated from the William and Mary St. Andrews Joint Degree Programme in Virginia and uses his skills to contribute to the Great Appalachian Revival. His goal in life is to do something that makes him happy and leaves the world a better place than he found it.
- 3:14 George, take a minute, fill in some gaps from that brief intro and give us a little behind the curtain look into your business.
- 4:24 How did you get into the mushroom farming business?
- 5:33 Was it a strip mine or an underground mine?
- 5:54 What made you decide to start a mushroom farm?
- 7:03 What is your 30 sec. pitch for your business?
- 7:28 What kind of mushrooms do you grow at Hernshaw Farms?
- 8:20 Have you always been a fan of mushrooms?
- 9:27 What are you most excited about for your business right now?
- 11:18 Are you talking about earthworms or a variety of worms?
- 12:16 What is the geographic market that you serve?
- 13:36 What are your best selling products?
- 14:24 If people are interested in growing their own mushrooms, what do they need to have?
- 15:26 Would growing mushrooms be a fun family project?
- 15:53 What was your degree in?
- 16:36 How many employees do you have?
- 17:55 Where did you go to high school?
- 18:41 How many acres is your farm?
- 19:46 How did you come upon the land?
- 20:44 What are the ideal growing conditions for mushrooms?
- 21:50 What has been your best business moment so far?
- 22:29 What has been your worst business moment so far?
- 24:45 PWV Commercial Break
- 25:19 What is the long term vision you have for your business?
- 26:13 How do you attract new customers?
- 27:12 Aside from Covid-19, what is one of the biggest challenges you’re facing in business right now?
- 29:23 Do you work with the Department of Agriculture?
- 31:42 What is one piece of advice that you’d give to young business owners and entrepreneurs in WV?
- 32:14 What is your favorite variety of mushroom?
- 32:44 What is one thing that you do every day that you think contributes to your success?
- 33:13 What is one book or podcast that you’d recommend for aspiring entrepreneurs?
- 34:47 What mushrooms do you prefer to use when you make mushroom risotto?
- 36:02 What type of your mushrooms are in the J.Q. Dickinson Mushroom & Herb Salt?
- 36:26 Is there anything else you’d like our listeners to know about you, your story, or your business?
- 37:10 What is the best way for our listeners to learn more about Hernshaw Farms and maybe even get in contact with you?
- 38:02 Outro
Book Recommendation: How to Win Friends & Influence People by Dale Carnegie