Liz Riffle is the owner of Riffle Farms: American Bison, the first commercial bison operation in the state of West Virginia. A Registered Nurse by trade, Liz has now gone from bedside to barnside! But health is still always at the forefront of her mind, which is why she chose to raise the heart-healthy, super lean bison. Liz is also a U.S. Navy Nurse Corp veteran, a mom to 19-month old Jamon, and the proud wife of active duty U.S. Navy Nurse Corp Lieutenant Commander Jimmie Riffle.
In addition, Riffle Farms was the first farm business to field harvest their animals for state certified commercial sale, which is how her second business — The Honest Carnivore: A WV Meat Collective, was born. Liz offers farmers a better option for their animals via butchery classes and quarter share marketing, where the animal can be field harvested and still sold for profit.
- 3:53 Liz, take a minute, fill in some gaps from that brief intro and give us a little behind the curtain look into your business.
- 6:19 Can you tell us more about how you got the bison here to West Virginia?
- 9:13 What is your 30 sec. pitch for Riffle Farms?
- 10:07 How do people typically buy your product?
- 11:11 Where can people purchase your product?
- 12:21 Can you tell us more about your farm? How many acres is it? Do you give tours?
- 14:14 Is it true that during a storm bison will actually face the storm and run into it?
- 14:40 What are you most excited about for your company right now?
- 17:20 What is the geographic region that you serve?
- 18:53 How many employees do you have?
- 19:51 Have you ever had a buffalo or bison get out of the fence?
- 21:22 What does a full grown bison weigh?
- 22:04 What is the capacity for bison on your farm?
- 23:05 What has been your best business moment so far?
- 24:00 What has been your worst business moment so far?
- 28:25 Did you military background help prepare you for the hardships you faced in your business?
- 29:09 PWV Commercial Break
- 29:43 Can you tell us more about the Honest Carnivore | Meat Collective?
- 33:44 What is the long version you have for your business?
- 34:22 How many camping spots do you have there?
- 34:30 How do you attract new customers?
- 35:31 What is one of the biggest challenges you’re facing right now?
- 36:51 What is one piece of advice that you’d give to young people who are thinking about starting their own business?
- 37:41 What is one thing that you do every day that you think contributes to your success?
- 38:38 What is one book or podcast that you’d recommend for aspiring entrepreneurs?
- 39:58 Is there anything else you’d like our listeners to know about your company or your story?
- 40:17 How can people learn more about your business and perhaps even get in contact with you?
- 40:50 Outro
Farm Marketing from the Heart: How to attach your dream customers and build your profitable farm by Charlotte Smith