Katy Orr-Dove is a third generation farmer and entrepreneur at George Orr & Sons, Inc. also doing business as Orr’s Farm Market. This 550 acre farm is located in Martinsburg, WV and has been in operation since 1954. Katy’s grandfather, George S. Orr, Jr. was the founder of the business and started a legacy of innovation, hard work, and perseverance in the Orr family.
Katy attended Shepherd College and graduated in 2002 with a Bachelor’s degree in Elementary Education. After teaching for 5 years she decided to return to the farm to manage the retail market. She has been back at the farm for the past 14 years and brought new ideas for tourism, entertainment, school tours, and expansion of the retail market business. The market now employs 68 local citizens, with a large number of high school and college students. Katy hopes to spread a passion for agriculture and motivate young people to appreciate the different seasons on the farm.
- 3:01 Katy take a minute, fill in some gaps from that brief intro and give us a little behind the curtain look into your company.
- 3:48 How did you get started in this line of work?
- 5:50 What is your 30 second pitch?
- 6:53 Give us some background on your farming experience.
- 9:21 What is the thing you’re most excited about for your organization – right now?
- 11:42 What is the geographic market you serve?
- 13:13 What would you say is the best thing about being in business in West Virginia?
- 15:22 Katy What is your worst business moment?
- 17:13 In one sentence – tell us the one take-away from that experience
- 18:02 Positively West Virginia Commercial Break
- 18:42 What’s the vision for your company – long term?
- 19:43 How do you attract new customers?
- 21:06 What’s one of the biggest challenges you face?
- 21:59 What is one piece of advice you would give to young business owners and entrepreneurs in West Virginia?
- 23:33 What is the one thing you do every day that contributes to your success?
- 24:11 What’s one resource you use in your business that you can’t live without?
- 25:00 What is one book you would recommend for aspiring entrepreneurs?
- 25:48 What is your philosophy on leadership?
- 27:11 What traits make an effective follower?
- 30:45 How can our listeners learn more about your company and contact you?